Relieve Irritated Skin With a Relaxing Homemade Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal has been used to protect and soothe the skin for centuries. For a relaxing, skin-nourishing soak, pour a batch of this homemade oatmeal bath recipe into the tub.
Benefits of Colloidal Oatmeal for Skincare
Oatmeal is a breakfast staple, but it also makes a fantastic skincare product. Doctors often recommend oatmeal treatments to relieve not only the itchiness caused by dry skin but also the irritating symptoms of eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis. An oatmeal bath may even help take the sting out of insect bites, sunburns, hives and poison ivy.
To get the benefits of oatmeal for skincare, it's important to use colloidal oatmeal. That means that the oatmeal is finely ground and combined with water, which forms a mixture that's like oat milk.
Colloidal oatmeal is valuable because it may help build up the skin's protective layers. The polysaccharides, proteins and lipids in the oats contribute to that. Oats also have vitamin E and enzymes that can be useful sources of antioxidants. In addition, oatmeal contains saponins, so it is good for helping clean and refreshed skin without relying on store-bought soaps.
Organic colloidal oatmeal provides these benefits using an influx of unnecessary chemicals. It's a safe, natural way to improve skin health. In fact, an oatmeal bath is a relaxing treat at any time, not just when the skin is irritated.
Homemade Oatmeal Bath Recipe
When itchy skin is causing trouble, this homemade oatmeal bath recipe may provide an easy way to find relief.
- Place the oats in a food processor, blender or coffee grinder. Use the finest setting to grind the oats as tiny as possible.
- Test whether the oats are sufficiently ground. Add warm water and a pinch of oats to a glass. Stir them together. If the oats turn the water milky without leaving residue behind, then they are fine enough. If not, place the dry ingredients in a cheesecloth bag instead of adding them directly to the bathwater.
- Add powdered goat's milk to the ground oats.
- Run warm water in the bathtub. Pour the oat mixture directly into the water, or tie the cheesecloth bag to the faucet so that the running water flows through it.
- Pour the avocado oil into the bathtub. Mix gently.
Sit down in the tub and relax! After about 10 minutes, rinse off with clear water.